Mental health service users in Salford, faced with cuts to drop-in and group sessions, have organised themselves into the United Service Users Committee (USUC).
Over recent months they have mounted dozens of campaigns and protests, with the backing of Salford against Cuts:
· Held joint meetings with Manchester service users who also face cuts
· Lobbied Mayor Ian Stewart at the Food Fair
· Protested at councillors’ surgeries and bombarded them with emails
· Lobbied the Labour Party Conference and challenged Ed Miliband
· Occupied the Council Chamber in November to demand a meeting with the Mayor
· Held a protest at the HQ of the NHS Trust
· Written to GPs throughout Salford
· Addressed the full council in January
And lots more. And they haven’t finished yet, they’ll stick at it till they win. Hats off to USUC, the campaigners who just won’t go away.
Campaigners Rob and Vee were featured on the BBC’s Inside Out North West, broadcast on Monday 21st January, still available on i-player, starts 11 mins in.
To help or for more info phone Steve Cullen on 07941 400870